Lesson: The Giving Tree
SELF-REFLECTION: Teaching Language Arts
Reflection of your lesson:
The
lesson that Aleah and I delivered on Friday, April 12 was great. I think the lesson went well for the
adults in our class even though he/she had to misbehave and act like third
graders. I must admit I was
nervous because these were my own peers but I had to come in to a state of mind
where I would have to deal with each individual as seven to eight years old. I feel that “The Giving Tree” lesson
was one of my “baby”- I made sure that the lesson was detailed and on
point. I wanted to prepare the
lesson as to where anyone who may read it, he/she will not have a problem
reading and be able to teach the lesson too without any problem. This is one of my favorite lessons that
I had to create, prepare, and teach.
How did you prepare?
As
for preparation, I had to pick a partner in the class. I picked Aleah instead of one of my
friends in the class. I believe
that was a great choice to work with someone that I barely even know. Although some may think that is challenging
because you do not know the personality of the person, but I beg to
differ. I like new ideas and
getting to know someone new all the time.
Meeting and working with a new person in my opinion is great because I
know I can always learn or get great ideas from someone new. After Aleah and I agreed to work
together, I was very persistent on using The Giving Tree as a book to
work our lesson on. We discussed
ideas and collaborated, then that resulted a successful and well-delivered
lesson.
Explain the objective(s) and assessment measures
of your lesson.
(*You can add the lesson as an attachment if
you choose)
“Objective(s):
SWBAT
to create a leaf project using linking words and phrases (because, therefore,
since,) to connect opinions and reasons.
Assessment:
Formative:
1. Teacher will observe the students reactions to the story.
2. Teacher will ask
questions to the students about the story, and the linking words and phrases.
(See procedure numbers 4 and 7.)
3. Teacher will observe the students to make sure
they are responding correctly to the writing activity, and to the leaf class
work project.
4.
Teachers will circulate around the room while the students are working
independently.
Summative:
1. Teachers will use the rubric to assess
the leaf class work project.
2. Students will be graded, and should meet
the 4 out of the 5 criteria with a “ (= ”. If not, the teacher will provide
one-on-one assistance to student(s).”
The objective of this lesson was to create a leaf project
using linking words and/or phrases to connect opinions or reason as to why the
student(s) picked whomever the person may be his/her giving tree just like the
book we had plan to present to the class.
The assessment that Aleah and I came up with is basically what we wanted
to do as acting teachers, these are some guidelines that will direct us to hit
off our objectives thoroughly and effectively.
Was your lesson plan executed exactly as it was
written?
The
lesson that Aleah and I planned was executed firmly but exactly maybe not in
order, although Aleah and I tackled everything we had in mind to do and written
so that the lesson will make sense to the students too.
What was the most important thing you tried to
teach your “students”?
The
most important thing I tried to teach my students was making sure that all
students were in the same page in the project by doing so I had to implement or
make sure that all of the students understood and followed the directions.
How do you think it went?
The
lesson was exactly how Aleah and I had planned it and I believe it went pretty
well as for my first time writing or creating a lesson with a partner along
with dealing with behavior issues.
It was a great challenge and a fun experience.
What did you learn from your students?
I
learned a lot from my students because all students have different
capabilities, attitudes, mentalities, and behaviors. As a teacher, I have to be firm in sticking to what I say
and mean it to the class. Also, I
need to make sure that I have an open mind and be mentally prepared to what
students have in store for me in class day by day.
What would you have done differently?
Differently? I think I’d like to make sure to keep
an eye on the time more and have the classroom set up well because of the
seating arrangement we had in the our class. There were too many chairs and in an elementary school the
classroom will have tables.
How could you have made the lesson even more
effective?
For
the lesson to be more effective, I should have gone over the linking verbs a
little bit more so that the students can have a little bit more knowledge of
what the SWAT was suppose to be in class.
Therefore, my follow-up lesson is to look back on what was not clear and
teach it the next day.
What do you think you need to improve or do
differently?
Perhaps,
as for improvement I would like to teach another lesson and have a better time
management because I can get carried away when teaching a lesson. I am not to sure what I could have done
differently but I am open to suggestions.
This is an amazing reflection. You did a super job!
ReplyDeleteThank you Dr. Luongo (=
ReplyDeleteyour lesson was amazing and I very much enjoyed every part of it. He did a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jose, but who is he?
DeleteYou did a good job. I like the way you started the class by making us color the apples and the leaves. Also, the fact of having the rules on the board was a good idea because that way the students would know what the consequences would be if any of them misbehave. I could see that you and your partner had everything very organized and I think that is very important as teacher. You did a great job with your lesson!
ReplyDeleteThank you Merry Jane, but we started the class with the puzzle pieces to make our own Giving Tree. (=
DeleteI really liked your lesson plan! The book was entertaining and the "students" really seemed to like it. Also, creating a giving tree for the students was a great idea; you and Aleah really did a good job tying it into the lesson.
ReplyDeleteThe lesson was amazing! The concept of creating our own giving tree was clevor especially since that was topic of the story! you handled behaviors very well and always kept your cool. the lesson was well prepared and I'm glad I had the chance to experience it =]
ReplyDeleteYour lesson was wonderful! I LOVED the puzzle pieces to create our own Giving Tree.I feel that it was a very effective lesson and you handled the behavior challenged students very well. Aleah had a quiet enthusiasm to her while Maryanne had a very firm handle with the students. It was very well organized and I think most children would thoroughly enjoy this lesson.
ReplyDeleteThe lesson you did was amazing. I liked how everyone had different pieces to the tree and I also liked the apples and leaves. I think this lesson would definitely appeal to children in an actual 3rd grade classroom. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI am going to use "the giving tree" in a lesson. Good job.
ReplyDeleteThe tree was brilliant! You're lucky Aleah was your partner, we were so ready to be the worst. You were effective at disciplining us anyway, and so I don't think we would have gotten away with much anyhow!
ReplyDelete